July 22, 2006

"I am Canadian"

Current London time: Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 10:55PM.

I'll start with a bit of juvenile humour. There are a great many places and names here that are inadvertantly obscene, dirty, or stupid funny, thanks to cultural differences. The first one I came across was on the Piccadilly Line of the London Underground (subway). This line runs out of Heathrow airport and goes to a station called Cockfosters. I have a picture of the second one; a tavern with a sign reading Cock Tavern - Your Friendly Local. There's also Ye Olde Cock Tavern. Yes, juvenile, but amusing nonetheless.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

On a completely different subject, I went to Buckingham Palace yesterday morning. Watching the Changing of the Guards is pretty interesting. Towards the end, the band played a medley piece that included parts that were definitely swingable! Other parts had a very salsa feel. Not something I would have expected...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

That night, I met up with my tour group. After dinner and a walk, a few of us (three of us Canadians and two Americans) went to a pub called The Maple Leaf. It's a Canadian-themed pub, with the interior made to look like a log house. There were Mountie uniforms on the wall, Canada flags on the ceiling, and a bear... a severely anorexic bear, but a bear all the same. This pub specialized in Canadian beers, though the selection was a little lacking. They did have Moosehead and Sleemans, though. It was a surreal experience having flown halfway around the world to end up in a "Canadian" pub in London.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Next on the surreal (or at least odd) list was Stonehenge. I've got many pictures of rocks in my collection now. I fly halfway around the world just to take pictures of rocks... albeit, large rocks. Large, famous rocks. And yet, Stonehenge was smaller than I expected...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

After Stonehenge today, we headed to Bath and a tour of the Roman baths that gave the town its name. The town of Bath is an interesting place. It's a mix of modern and old; the buildings and architecture are old, yet the stores housed in the old stone are modern... like an electronics store or a Burger King.

Aside from that, there's one attraction I'll need to get back to in Bath in the future. It's a place called Fudge Kitchen. You get to watch them making the fudge, which is very cool. Even better is the free sample. After sampling, I was forced to buy some, itwas THAT good! OMFG, that was good fudge!! They have a website (http://www.fudgekitchen.co.uk) where you can buy fudge online. I wonder if they'll deliver to Canada...?
UPDATE: Looks like they have multiple locations around the UK, and yes, they DO deliver worldwide! £9.00, though.

That is all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home