July 20, 2006

Story time with Frankie Manning and Chazz Young

Current Herräng time: Wednesday, July 5, 2006, 6:34PM.

"Hey everyone, it's Saturday night! With your host Davi..."
Uhh, make that: It's Tuesday night with your host Lennart Westerlund. After last night's meeting, we had story time with Frankie Manning and his son, Chazz Young, a (tap) legend in his own right. The stories these two told were great; very entertaining. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It's just so fun seeing these two just acting like two big kids having fun and laughing, recounting stories of their past.

Later that night was the dance. I was standing just outside the dance floor, airing myself out, and this guy and a girl walk off the floor. They end up standing beside me, talking, so I couldn't help but eavesdrop. I'm glad I did, because it was hilarious! This guy was so hitting on her, using the 'best' pickup line/story I've ever heard.

Before I continue, I'd like to say that the only pickup lines I've used seriously are 'Hi' and 'Would you like to dance?'. Both successfully, I might add.

Anyway, back to the pickup artist. The conversation went like so:

him (artist): If you could be any kind of fruit, what would you be?
her (victim): Something about being a cherry.
<INSERT SMALL TALK HERE>
artist: Well, if I could be any kind of fruit, I would be a coconut. Why? Because you can drink the coconut water and milk, you can use the insides to make sweet things. They grow on trees, they grow under leaves, and they can fall into the ocean and I can float on the water...

Seems pretty innocuous and tame so far, doesn't it? Well sure, but I haven't told you the important part: the voice! The voice he used was the most over-the-top, contrived, practiced voice I've ever heard! Hearing him just makes you think of this guy standing in front of his mirror, practising his 'suave' voice for hours on end. I can't stress that enough. I just had to leave before I cracked up laughing... which I did very soon after.

*deep breath*

Ok, new day, new subject... well, subjects. Today was a break from dance classes as it was Cultural Day. After a late breakfast, I went on a short tour with Lennart to an old mine site. Herräng was founded as a mining town. The scenery was beautiful! The area was serene and peaceful. That really made me wish Holly was here with me! Unfortunately, no, she couldn't come.

After this, I played a couple quick games of Ultimate. That was fun, but tiring!

Now, I'm just sitting on a rock, under the shade of a couple trees, writing. Behind me, when I started, was a tap class. Tap has cool music (cool modern jazz with fun beats), but they make some serious noise! To my right, there was salsa music coming from the Savoy Ballroom tent, with people dancing the Rueda. Now, there's a hip-hop class. All this time, I've also been people watching, which is definitely a great pasttime. Herräng is great! I wish I could stay longer! (Particularly the fourth week...)

Wow, that's a long entry! At least it is in my notebook...

That is all.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 21/7/06 10:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't stop now, it was just getting to the good part. :)
-sav

 

Post a Comment

<< Home