March 09, 2007

s/[Yy][Oo][Uu]/A very small regex/

Warning! Geekery ensues! You have been warned.

Regular Expressions (regexes) are so powerful and geeky. They have a certain beauty of their own that is hard to describe. I actually get a little excited after I've written a particularly complicated regex and see it work as intended. I'll sometimes run it twice just to watch it again.

I was reminded of a T-shirt that simply says 'Go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script'. I think I could use one with an equivalent saying for regexes, but written as a regex. Something like: s/[Yy][Oo][Uu]/A very small regex/
That needs a little work, but the gist of it is there.

That is all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10/3/07 12:17 pm, Blogger Kevin Savage said...

regexes rule. Unfortunately, I use them so infrequently that I have to re-learn how to use them every time I need one.
-sav

 

Post a Comment

<< Home