June 01, 2006

Giant 3D Tetris... IRL style

So I got to play a giant game of 3D Tetris yesterday. I helped my brother move to Vancouver. We rented a 1-ton truck for the purpose. We started way too early in the morning (earlier than I start work!) and got the truck filled by about 11AM. My dad did most of the truck stacking with me helping. Break for a quick lunch and we were off to the ferry. Catching the 1PM ferry and driving into Vancouver, we got to the public storage around 3:30PM. Thus began my real life game of giant 3D Tetris.

The public storage is a massive 3-storey building, with two elevators for upper level access. We had a few people helping us. I was stationed at the storage locker to organize, while the others unpacked the truck and brought me more Tetris pieces. Here I was trying to get the contents of a cleverly (and tightly) packed truck into a slightly larger box on the third floor... without knowing what pieces were left or were coming next. Twas an interesting puzzle and I think I fared rather nicely. The back of the storage locker was packed pretty tightly, from floor to wire-mesh ceiling. It wasn't until later, when we started running out of time, when things got a little more sloppy. This was also when the weirder pieces came into play.

This actually mirrors how I often play Tetris. My strategy at first has the goal of getting the 4-line tetrii for big points. Later, when things start getting more hectic and faster and furious..er, my strategy changes to go for the quick lines and clear things quickly. The top of the Tetris box is a scary place when things are moving very rapidly!

We managed to finish the game just after 7PM, with a decent amount of room to spare and everything packed away. Off to the ferry to catch the 9PM. Back in Victoria, we headed home and off to return the truck. I finally got home and into bed (a much needed shower and a quick call later) at about 12:30AM... and back to work at 8:30AM. Joy. At least I have a massage lined up for tonight.

That is all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home