August 14, 2006

Bomb threat on the high seas...

... or at least in Tsawwassen.

Yesterday I was in Richmond helping my brother and his wife move into their new place. Catching the ferry back home was interesting. If you caught the late news last night, you'd know why. I got to Tsawwassen a little before 8PM and was greeted with a two sailing wait. Joy. Ten o'clock sailing and I'd get home around midnight. Not unexpected, but not fun either. I forgot the Abbotsford Airshow was on that weekend, too, which would also explain the busy sailings.

So I'm sitting there as the 8PM sailing starts to load cars and it stops partway through, cars lined up on the ramps. After a long pause, there's an announcement that there has been an 'incident' loading cars and that hopefully loading would resume shortly. Thank you for your patience and please remain in your vehicles. Five to ten minutes later, same announcement. Again at another five to ten minutes. Repeat indefinitely. At about 8:30 or so, a police car drives past towards the ferry. A few minutes later, another (Delta) police shows up. At about 9PM, two more police cars. By this time, the 9PM ferry has shown up and unloaded its load of cars. The crew starts diverting and moving the 8PM ferry traffic onto the newly arrived ferry. They leave about quarter past. Meanwhile, a firetruck shows up.

I got out and started wandering again and headed towards the dock. I sat there watching what little you could see in the distance; basically, the four cop cars and firetruck parked there, as their occupants and some BC Ferries crew milled about the lower vehicle deck. After a long time of nothing, I heard a couple of the guys yelp in surprise and immediately after heard a firecracker brick go off. Suspicion confirmed, it was a bomb threat.

Nothing much happened after that. Nearing 10PM, they made an announcement to passengers in lanes blah blah blah and maybe blah to return to their vehicles as the ferry will be loading soon. I was in lane 'blah' of 'blah blah blah'. The ferry sailed around 10:30PM, not far off when I would have sailed anyway. As we neared Swartz Bay, an announcement was made saying that the '8PM' ferry had just sailed and was about 1h10m behind us. It was only about 3.5 hours late in leaving Tsawwassen...

Good times... good times...

On another note, my computer is rather screwy right now. My main user account has no network access whatsoever, while the Administrator account still has net access to most sites... just not any of my webmail sites. Only http access works, so I can't get my mail or log in to MSN Messenger. I feel very deprived... My only sources of access right now are at work and Holly's. (I suppose I could use my old old old computer, but that's not right.) I've ran through a bunch of ideas, but nothing yet. At this point, I'm going to be backing stuff up and wiping over the next few weeks. Consequently, updates here and otherwise will be rather spotty.

Also, if you notice any signs of withdrawal, you'll know why...

Sadly, that is all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home